| || || |
EVENT SUMMARY- 2015
|Held Under the Patronage of His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, |
Member of the UAE Supreme Council & Ruler of Fujairah
The 9th International FUJCON 2015 organized by The Conference Connection Inc, under the auspices of the Government of Fujairah with the Patronage of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, Member of the UAE Supreme Council & Ruler of Fujairah, was successfully held in Fujairah, UAE from 23 to 25 March 2015.
FUJCON 2015 was supported by BIMCO, International Bunker Industry Association, Society for Gas as a Marine Fuel, UAE Ship Association, The Nautical Institute, UAE Branch and The Mission to Seafarers.
FUJCON 2015 and the Fujairah Bunkering Week Events, continued to exceed expectations attracting nearly 400 attendees from 35 countries. Held every 2 years, the Forum is now an iconic feature in the international bunkering community’s calendar of events, given its diverse geographic attendance and wide cross-section of industries represented, including leading oil and bunker producers/traders, oil majors, national oil companies, shipowners and operators, ship managers, ship brokers, refiners, classification societies, maritime lawyers, bankers, consultants and supply and service companies.
The Forum was also honoured to have the gracious attendance of the Crown Prince of Fujairah, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi & other VIPs, during the Official Opening on 24 March.
The Official Opening featured a Welcome & Two Keynote Addresses. Together with 33 other speakers who addressed the conference, the panel of speakers comprised several oil industry and maritime notables. This year’s new Roundtable Format and audience voting systems for topical industry issues, went down very well with participants and promoted active dialogue between all industry players at the conference. The in-depth analysis, wisdom and experience of the moderators and panelists, added greatly to the debate and knowledge sharing that FUJCON is noted for.
The opening & closing sessions were chaired by Mr. Mohammed Obaid Majid Al Al-Aleeli, Director, Department of Industry & Economy.
Opening Session Speakers
- Welcome Address: Dr Mohammed Saeed Al Kindi, Chairman of the FUJCON Steering Committee
- Keynote Address 1: Low Oil Prices: Challenges & Opportunities for the Bunker Industry by Dr Ali Al-Yabhouni, Chief Executive Officer , ADNATCO-NGSCO and UAE Governor for OPEC
- Keynote Address 2: Global Oil Market: Impact on Fuel Oil Balances by Dr Fereidun Fesharaki, Chairman, FACTS Global Energy Ltd (FGE)
|Dr M S Al Kindi, in his welcome speech traced the history of the conference and of Fujairah, and its evolution over the past years, both in terms of commercial and infrastructural growth. The ADCOP Pipeline, construction of new tank terminals & storage facilities, new advancements in the Port in terms of its jetties, VLCC berths, increased Anchorage, as well as the Matrix Manifold, strategic Grain Reserve, LNG facilities, desalination & power plants and new highways, have all worked to serve Fujairah in its quest to add strategic facilities to its strategic location.|| |
| ||Welcome Address by Dr MS Al Kindi|
FUJCON 2015 Highlights:
- The theme of the conference Fujairah – Towards Diversification & Expansion – Bunkering, Crude, Refining, LNG & Petrochemicals, was covered by a select group of 35 experts from Denmark, Iran, Netherlands, Singapore, UAE, UK & USA. The new agenda format promoted leading edge discussions on the opportunities & challenges of the bunker industry especially the impact of new sulphur regulations, growth of LNG as a marine fuel, the new challenges of marine fuel quality, environmental regulations, fuel efficiency & technology.
- The highlight of the conference included two first-time panels, showcasing Bunker Operators & Terminal Operators of Fujairah who focused on growth plans for the Fujairah Anchorage, prospects for increased bunker activity, new sulphur cap regulations in the UAE and availability of acceptable bunker fuel. The panels were moderated by Dr Salem Khalil, Technical Advisor to the Government of Fujairah.
- At noon on 24 March 2015, all conference speakers were graciously invited for an Audience with the Ruler of Fujairah, H.H. Sheikh Hamad Bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, at the Al Diwan Hall, where the Ruler personally met each speaker and discussed the morning’s sessions with them. The Audience ended with a group photo taken with His Highness.
| ||Group photo taken with|
| The Ruler of Fujairah met with each FUJCON speaker|
- On 25 March 2015, Members of the FUJCON Steering Committee also met with the Crown Prince of Fujairah, to personally thank him with for his gracious attendance at the Official Opening of the conference on 24 March and to present him with a token of appreciation
| ||FUJCON Steering Committee visit to the Crown Prince of Fujairah|
|Forum Facts & Figures|
- The rapidly changing business landscape in Fujairah was reflected in the composition of delegates with strong participation from Gulf Cooperation Council countries (GCC) including Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, in addition to Europe, North and Latin Americas and the Asia-Pacific, with largest delegations from the UK, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Oman and Japan. First time attendance has been recorded from Venezuela, Canada, Hongkong, Monaco and Ghana. Click here to view a pie chart of the FUJCON attendance by region.
- The strongest reasons cited by participants for attending the conference were the programme coverage and opportunity to develop business
- Sponsors at FUJCON 2015 included AKRON Trade & Transport, ADNATCO & NGSCO, Aegean Marine Petroleum, Bakri International Energy Co Ltd, Endress & Hauser, Fujairah Oil Terminals, Fujairah Petroleum Products, GPS Chemoil, Intertek, National Bank of Fujairah, Pearl Marine, Prima Marine, Port of Fujairah, Socar Aurora Fujairah Terminals, VTTI Fujairah & Veritas Petroleum Services. Several of these companies have been strong supporters of the conference, having been sponsors several times over, during the 8 conferences held since the year 2000.
- To cater to the delegates’ specialised information needs, 3 courses were held alongside the conference. 10 countries were represented at these courses:-
- Bunker Measurement, held on 21 March 2015, provided a better understanding of the physical bunkering process from bunker barge/shore tanks to receiving vessels
- Bunker Fuel Blending, held on 22-23 March 2015, provided a comprehensive insight into marine bunker blending techniques, technology & cost benefits
- LNG Bunkering, held on 22-23 March 2015, provided an understanding of what LNG means to a company & its Fleet, as well as technical and commercial aspects of LNG bunkering
- A Special Laboratory Visit, was also organised for Bunker Fuel Blending delegates, hosted by Intertek, to provide delegates with an insight into testing methodologies for bunker fuels and bunker quality surveys
- The Conference Gala Dinner held on the night of 24 March, was hosted by Akron Trade & Transport at the Hilton Fujairah Hotel. Delegates wined and dined under the stars, enjoyed the sounds of a Columbian band, networked in a relaxed environment while enjoying the cool breezes from the nearby Indian Ocean
- Other social activities held during the conference included the Opening Reception on 23 March and an offshore Site Visit to the Port of Fujairah and its offshore installations on 25 March, hosted by the Port of Fujairah.
|Opening Reception on 23 March||Official Opening on 24 March||Conference Dinner on 24 March|
Click here for more photos of FUJCON 2015 http://www.cconnection.org/ViewAlbum.php?id=60
We look forward to seeing you at the Tenth International Fujairah Bunkering & Fuel Oil Forum in 2017. Should you be interested in presenting a paper, being a sponsor or simply attending, contact FUJCON 2017 Secretariat at Tel: +65 6338 0064 Fax: +65 6338 4090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
|Click here to View FUJCON 2015 Infographics|
|FUJCON 2015 enjoyed wide media coverage from news dailies, industry publications & local media. Prior to the conference, a Press Conference for local media was held on 21 March 2015. Members of the FUJCON Steering Committee addressed the local press and provided an update on the activities of the conference, as well as the developments at the Port of Fujairah and Fujairah’s advancement as a major bunkering centre and crude oil & oil products storage hub.|
|FUJCON Steering Committee at the Press Conference||Members of the local press attending the Press Conference||Capt Mousa Morad, General Manager, Port of Fujairah, addressing the local press||Interviews being conducted by local press at the Press Conference|
|Click here to view press coverage on the conference|
Press releases on the recent Port of Fujairah launch of the VLCC Berth on 21 September