Over the course of three-days, the program seeks to focus on gasoline and diesel blending techniques concentrating on the creation and optimization of profitable blend formula. In addition to comprehensive analysis of blend components including pricing and the environmental impact, the program seeks to educate participants through real life case studies and exercises.
In order to get the maximum benefit, participants should bring their own Windows laptop with Microsoft Excel (2010 or later) with SOLVER add-in software installed for this course.
Mr. Ara Barsamian
President, Refinery Automation Institute LLC, USA
Ara Barsamian is the president and CEO of Refinery Automation Institute LLC (RAI), and has over 48 years of experience in bunker, gasoline, diesel, and biofuel blending operations and technology. Among his first experiences at Exxon was computerized bunker blending in an Aruba refinery. Lately he has spearheaded development and testing of IMO 2020-compatible bunker blends, recipes, and updating ISO 8217 specs. Earlier in his career, he was a group head with Exxon Research & Engineering Co., President of 3X Corp., and Vice-President of ABB Simcon, all in the area of fuels blending.
Mr. Barsamian is a senior member of AIChE, ASTM, ILTA and IBIA. He is on the board of directors of AIChE, and a professor (adjunct) at New Jersey Institute of Technology.
He holds BS and MS degrees in electrical engineering from City University of New York.
- Introduction to Gasoline and Diesel Blending
- Gasoline Specifications and Grades
- Blend Components and Properties
- Blending Economics: Pricing Blend Component and
- Blending Property Calculations
- Introduction to Blend Optimization
- Blending Optimizer Exercises (to make US and Exports
Gasolines as well as to determine Blend Economics)
- Gasoline and Diesel Lab Test Methods and Precision of
- Dispute Resolution and Blend Targets Setting using Lab
Precision of Measurement
- EnviroSpecs, RFS, Compliance using EPA Complex Model
- Ethanol Blending and Non-linear Property Prediction
- Specific Gasoline Blending Profit Improvements
- Diesel Specifications and Grades
- Pricing Blend Component and Finished Products Using
- Diesel Blend Property Calculation
- Diesel Blend Optimizer Usage, Examples and Exercises
(to make US, EU and Mexican Diesels)
- Blending Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel
- Exercises with the Diesel optimizer to make US, EU,
Mexican Diesels, without and with Biodiesel and
- Diesel Environmental Specs and Issues
- Conclusion and Wrap-up
How to calculate blend profitability
Estimating blend components prices
Exploit profitability by calculating non-linear properties accurately
Dispute resolution using property measurement precision
Using Ethanol and Biodiesel profitably
- Review specs around the world: APA (Singapore, Dubai, Saudi), EU, USA, Latin America, etc.
- Determine what blend components you should buy and use for specific grades
- Assess pricing of each component relative to market and future trends
- Evaluation of blend components for best profits
- Optimize blend recipe formula for maximum profitability
- Ethanol blending and impact on properties
- BioDiesel (FAME) and Renewable Diesel Properties and Blending
- Measuring environmental compliance
- Hundreds of references: specs, price bulletins, blend component data base, list of world oil refineries, other blending information sources
- Course includes on-site laboratory visits
- 800+ Pages Gasoline and Diesel Blending Handbook
- 35+ Blending Programs and Exercises
- Gasoline and Diesel Blending Optimizer Program (DEMO)
- Blending Components Data Base
- Gasoline and Diesel Specifications Catalogs
- And more….
Who Should Attend
Gasoline Traders / Blenders
Fuel Oil / Distillates Traders
Middle & Senior Managers
Business Development Managers
Blend Schedulers Business Analysts
Marketing & Products Trading Managers
Laboratory Supervisors Sales Representatives
Planning / Operational Engineers
Cargo Inspectors / Surveyors
Fuel / Project Engineers
"I really got good insights into the topic and now have better understanding of what blending is all about"
- SIBUR International
"I was deeply impressed how comprehensive, thoroughly composed and well structured the course was. It is well balanced between lectures and exercises"
- Expert Marketing, SIBUR
“I learnt a lot – and was able to tie my previous information and knowledge to a more structured format”
- Engagement Manager, Trident Consulting
“Truly a pleasure…Thank you for sharing your perspective”
“Ara has tremendous knowledge and experience”
- Regional COO, Mitsubishi Corporation
“Thank you for the valuable info shared through the course”
- Operation Officer, Qaiwan Global Energy DMCC
"Ara Barsamian is very knowledgeable, which made it easier to understand the course"